Monday, May 23, 2011

How I joined the Art Car Parade, and other tales

Yesterday, Houston held its infamous art car parade with a huge turnout of people. A friend and I had plans to meet up with some other folks at a nearby restaurant and then walk to the parade. We were driving around the area, looking for a place to park near the restaurant. Unfortunately, we were running late and every spot for blocks was already taken.

My friend suggested I turn down a street in a little neighborhood and see if there was a spot along the curb. Everything was full and we kept driving, only to drive around a corner and end up dead ending straight into the parade! There was literally nowhere to go except forward! Tnhe street wasn't blocked off at all, so I nosed out into the street, where art cars were lined up in waiting and throngs of people were roaming the street. We were literally caught up in the crowd.

We couldn't go more than about 5mph because so many people were walking around and in front of my car. My friend was gripping the door handle and anxiously motioning people to move out of the way as we nudged forward.

We were stuck in the parade for about a block and then finally came to a cross street where we were able to turn off and ask the police officers to let us pass back through the barricade.

The officers looked at me and laughed and said "all right...come on through."

All I could think of the whole time was that I hoped I wouldn't run anyone over...and I wished my car was decorated. :)

No comments: