Thursday, January 03, 2008

Battling My Fears

When I was about nine years old something horrible happened to me that has haunted me all my life. For years I avoided confronting the issue. That one moment has had repercussions for the past 20 years of my life. But about three weeks ago, I finally confronted my fears and have let go of that moment from the past.

I have found freedom and finally started using a round styling brush on my hair.

You thought this was going to be a serious QQ post, didn't you? So gullible.

You see, when I was young I had really long hair. So long I could sit on it. And one fateful day one of my older girl cousins was playing with my hair. She was brushing it and braiding it and just having fun. And she took a round hair brush and rolled it up in my hair...and it got stuck. Horribly stuck. My hair was all tangled up in it and she freaked out and started trying to tug it out and that hurt SO bad. So of course, I started crying and ran to get my mom. It took about half an hour to get that brush out of my hair.

Ever since then, I would never use a round brush. All my stylists through the years told me I needed to use one -- it would increase the volume. But always in the back of my mind I had memories of that awful experience with a round hairbrush.

But a few weeks ago I decided to confront my fears and start using a round brush. (It helps that my hair is about two feet shorter than it used to be.)

Freedom is a voluminous thing.

No comments: