Friday, December 14, 2007

Murphy's Law

Last night I went to a really nice party at a hot new spot downtown. In fact, this place isn't even open to the public yet. But the guy who was throwing the party has a connection or two. I took a friend with me to the party. At one point we were standing out on the deck having a private conversation. Now, this conversation was completely innocent, entirely appropriate and not in the least questionable. But part of the conversation centered around a delicate subject and included a word not normally used in polite company. It wasn't profanity. It was just a word that usually doesn't come up in social settings. (And it was a word that HAD to be repeated in the context of the conversation taking place, which I reiterate, was a completely innocent conversation.) For those of you who are really curious, the word sounds similar to masticate. You follow? Ok. Well literally the moment that word came out of my friend's mouth, the nicest, most down-to-earth couple appeared out of nowhere right at our elbows and said "Is this a private conversation? Because we'd love to join you."

Awkward.

1 comment:

Nancy Mon said...

Years ago when I played tennis with a woman at the club we were members of and there was a story to go with this woman. She and her husband were swingers and they were looking to recruit interested parties. They had a dinner and we were invited with several others. I had no clue about them and we could not attend. But you should have heard the stories from our friends of how they see if the couple would be interested in such a thing. Hmm...I wonder if they were the ones I knew from tennis?