Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The Guilty Pleasures

We've covered the best and worst. Now it's time to confess to you the Christmas songs that I secretly enjoy...even though they are technically on the lousy side. Some of these are just fun. Others are catchy. None of them are what we think of when we consider "great" Christmas music. But I like 'em.

5. All I Want for Christmas is You
Powerhouse vocals and peppy beat. Sing it, Mariah!

4. Jingle Bell Rock
You HAVE to sing along. And you HAVE to love Home Alone.

3. Baby It's Cold Outside
Scandalous. And delicious. Ray makes this song velvet.

2. Santa Baby
Christmas and Madonna. Irony on multiple levels.

1. The Christmas Song
Sung as only Nat can sing it. It's really not worth listening to any other version. This song seems to really tap into all the magical moments we imagine for the Christmas season.

5 comments:

gL said...

nat could have made the best list... and horror upon horror... the onion has denied your request to link to them... are you loosing clout?

gL said...

or is it losing?

Me said...

I played a couple of these for my co-workers and when I started Nat they both piped up and said, "Oh, that's my favorite Christmas song!" There's just something about the silky voice of Nat!

Mindy Hart said...

You know what's missing from your list... The Little Drummer Boy with Bing Crosby and David Bowie...it's classic... and such an odd combination.. it had to make some list!

Sad story about jingle bell rock- we were supposed to sing it in our christmas program in 2nd grade (that's when you could still have christmas programs at schools! ) and I was so excited...and then I got the chicken pox. Sad sad story... so it always makes me think of that. :-(

The Doctor said...

I like Dean Martin's version of #3, but this is slow and sultry too. Mmmm, I don't think that excuse works well in Houston, though. "Baby, it's humid outside?"