Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The Best

I apologize for subjecting you to yesterday's travesties of Christmas music. To make amends, please take a moment to enjoy my personal favorites of Christmas music.

Honorable Mention: Vince Guaraldi's Charlie Brown Christmas

5. Ave Maria
Points off for being theologically unsound. But still one of the most beautiful songs in the Christmas lexicon.

4. Carol of the Bells
You can't help but love the beauty and simplicity of voices in this piece. And I'm not talking about the techno Trans-Siberian version.

3. O Come, O Come Emmanuel
This song wonderfully illustrates the tension inherent in that Emmanuel God With Us dwells in our hearts, and yet we still long for the physical return of Christ.

2. O Holy Night
It has profound lyrics and an overt gospel message. Too bad most of us can't sing this song.

1. Handel's Messiah
Speaks for itself. Don't forget to stand during the performance.

4 comments:

Troy said...

I like your lists. I pretty much agreed with your "Worst" list, although I had never heard the auld lang snore song before. Here is my thoughts on your "Best" list:

I disagree with your choice for #4 because it is overdone, although I share your opinion of the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. (I would have included all Trans-Siberian songs in your previous list.)

The rest of your list, I agree with you, although I would have disqualified Ave Maria on the grounds of it being completely wrong theologically. I would offer "Breath of Heaven" as a more theologically sound song in its place. It doesn't have anywhere near the history or recognition of Ave Maria, but I find its lyrics to be powerful and its melody haunting.

Jeanine said...

Absolutely love Handel's Messiah...it's amazing to listen to and yet can still move the performers.

Sarah said...

O Holy Night is my all-time favorite Christmas song! Excellent choice for your #2. :)

Mindy Hart said...

O Holy Night is my absolute favorite! Good job making the lists!