Monday, May 01, 2006

I've Got Issues

My life is so crazy-busy right now that I have to use every available moment left to me. This evening I had 15 minutes to spare between two meetings, so I stopped by CVS to get a Mother's Day card for my mom. I figured I may as well do it now while I have an extra 15 minutes on my plate. So I am looking through the cards and none of them seem quite right. I picked up a card..."well that's nice, but not really what I want to say"..."this is sweet, but I'm not sure it fits the relationship"..."nice picture, but I am so not about the cards that rhyme"...as I looked through the cards I started thinking about what I was looking for. What did I want the card to say? How would I know that I found "the one"?

Then it dawned on me. I hadn't even been aware of it, but deep down inside I was looking for the card that would bring tears to my eyes. Nothing says Happy Mother's Day like the words "here Mom, I hope this card makes you cry." A few moments later I found it! The card that made my eyes well up. It was perfect. As I was leaving the store I couldn't decide if my desire for a card that made me cry was really sweet...or really sick. I think maybe a little of both...

3 comments:

Jeanine said...

Then I must have issues, too. I completely understand what you want out of a Mother's Day card.

Dustin said...

Laurie, next time you're out buying cards for occasions like this, please pick up two. I always forget these silly "holidays".

Todd Richards said...

Monica... errr Laurie, I think the work you are looking for is swee-ick.