Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Awkward is as awkward does

What makes awkward moments so awkward? I don't mean embarrassing moments in which you say or do something out of place and feel shame or humiliation over the situation. I mean awkward moments where the social environment is violated in some way. My personal opinion is that my normalcy (relatively speaking) is what makes awkward moments so awkward. I mean, think about it. Do awkward people behave as though they realize they are awkward? No, no they do not. They conduct themselves in a manner that suggests they are blissfully unaware of the havoc they are wreaking on the social fabric around them. They are so accustomed to awkwardness that it doesn't seem awkward to them.

(By the bye, I've typed 'awkward' so much that the word now looks awkward.)

Now lest you become confused, I want to clarify that I am not referring to shy people or those who are merely insecure in certain social situations. They are able to develop skills and strategies to avoid the awkwardness. But we all know someone (at least one!) who is hopelessly awkward. And I believe that awkward person has no idea of his or her own awkwardness. Which means really it's the rest of us who feel awkward around that person....which makes us the awkward ones.

The answer, my friends, is blowing in the wind...the answer is blowing in the wind.

No comments: