Friday, November 05, 2010

Splish Splash

Last night I was out with some friends at the uber-trendy Benjy's location on Washington. We were enjoying happy hour on the terrace. We were definitely part of "the scene." Everyone looked fierce, dressed to the nines. (What does that phrase even mean?)

Can you picture it? A bunch of 20- and 30-somethings, sipping wine and noshing on upscale bits and bites, laughing and talking under the soft lights of the chic patio.

It was a birthday celebration. We presented a gorgeous fruit tart with sparkling candles to the birthday girl. The flames flickered in the dusk, as we softly sang and laughed under the stars. It was like a scene out of a movie.

Chatting with my friends, I began slicing pieces of the tart, dishing them out to those around me. And in the process, knocked over my entire glass of RED wine directly onto the guy sitting across from me. He, along with his lovely suit, was drenched in Pinot Noir. I was mortified. It was literally dripping off of him, streaming down his jacket.

He was very kind and gracious about it. The suit was dark and he assured me it wouldn't be ruined. His white shirt, on the other hand, won't be so fortunate. But he laughed and said "You know, Laurie...I've always secretly wanted to have a moment where a woman threw her glass of wine in my face. Thanks for making that happen for me."

Maybe the evening was more like a movie than I realized.

No comments: