Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Brilliant, Terrifying

I recently watched a Romanian movie called 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days. I can honestly say that's the first Romanian film I've ever seen. I can also honestly say it was one of the most horrifying, disturbing, breathtaking and captivating films I've ever seen.

It's not for the faint of heart. It's more sickening than any Hollywood slasher movie could ever achieve. People who love horror movies should be required to watch this movie -- a depiction of real-life horror.

But the movie is not graphic in the traditional sense. There is some nudity and violence. And it's upsetting to watch, but not gratuitous. Mostly it just gives you a sense of what it's like for people who live in despair and hopelessness.

I actually found myself praying for the characters in the movie at one point. I had to remind myself that it was just a movie and these people weren't really experiencing what was depicted on screen.

If you watch it, be prepared for it to stay in your thoughts for a long time.

No comments: