Monday, April 07, 2008

From our Moscow Bureau

Spring has arrived! I can hardly believe it. We've had 5 solid days of sunshine. I actually went out for a walk a day or two ago with nothing but a t-shirt on (get your mind out of the gutter). My point is that winter is on its way out (and not a moment too soon). With the warmer weather come longer days and shorter nights. I'm told that it will be daylight until almost midnight during the summer. Looks like I'll have to invest in aluminum foil for my bedroom windows.



As I've mentioned previously, I finally found an apartment. This weekend my agent (who is the best real estate agent I've ever used) took me to Ikea to buy furniture for my apartment. When I moved to Moscow, all I brought was nine bags so you can imagine all the stuff that we had to buy to furnish the apartment. The only reason I think she had me come to Ikea with her was to a) push the baskets and b) pay the bill. Would you believe that before we were finished I had baskets full of everything from spatulas to sofas? When we got to the counter to pay I had about 25 yards worth of baskets to push and several poor saps standing in line behind me watching as I counted out 150,000 rubles ($6,000) in $20 dollar increments (everyone uses cash in Russia). I'm not sure I could have done any of the shopping that day without my agent. She was able to negotiate the store (it's freakin' huge), negotiate with the sales people, and get the shipping and assembly lined up as well (all of which had to be done in Russian). Then she took me to an electronics store to buy a microwave and tv. Eight hours later I had all the makings of a furnished apartment…on paper…

The next day the problems began. The delivery guys showed up 10 hours late and then refused to deliver. Once we did convince them to deliver they didn't deliver all of the items. Half of the items they did deliver they damaged either in transit, or the way up the stairs. The assembly guys showed up the day after the delivery guys and managed to damage the other half of the items…(it was like a tag team event). The best part is that they do not remove the boxes from your apartment (they say for warranty reasons). So now, while I may not have a bed, I can always construct one out of the boxes and duct tape (literally 50+) that they've left behind...if I could only find duct tape.

Friday night I ventured out with some friends of mine to go check out a movie at a large cinema. The cinema only has one English speaking screen that is located about 1-1/2 blocks from the concession stand inside the theater. So after you've bought your ticket and purchased your popcorn and soda, you have to walk outside and down the street to your movie. No big deal right… That is until you walk outside and are swarmed by children wanting you to give them your soda, your popcorn and in some cases your wallet. The kids ages range from 5 years to 12 years I'm guessing. The two little devils that attacked me were around 6yrs (girl) and 10 yrs (boy). Had they been homeless or destitute one might feel as though sharing your drink, popcorn or even money would be the right thing to do. But these little animals were dressed nice. And they had a system of attack. They actually cornered the girl I was with and because both her hands had drinks in them, she couldn't do anything. They had her purse unzipped before I could get over to her to save the sodas! Crazy! After the show we stood near the entrance and watched the little monsters as they attacked wave after wave of unsuspecting movie goers. To be young and gypsy…



~The Moscow Correspondent

3 comments:

Ulovebeth said...

First of all, I am so grateful to hear the updates from the correspondent. He's a very talented writer.
Second, please tell the MC that the ladies would like to see the final "after" to the "before" pic of the apartment.

Alyssa said...

I'm a fan of these updates! It's fun to read a friend's perspective on another culture! :)

The Traveler said...

You have solved a mystery for me that I had been pondering for the past several years. ALL OF IKEA'S INSTRUCTIONS ARE IN RUSSIAN!!! Even here in the states. We have bought several pieces from there and I can't for the life of me figure as to why they refuse to include instructions in something other than a combination of Russian and hand puppets.