Tuesday, March 25, 2008

From our Moscow Bureau

Last week I went out to a bar on Thursday night called 'The Real McCoy' and it was awesome. They have live music 5 nights a week and I'd heard that the bands are great. The band I saw was fantastic (though I have no idea how to pronounce their name). They opened with a James Brown cover, and continued to play a variation of Russian and English cover songs. I heard Banana-rama, Pink Floyd, Stevie Ray Vaughan, but the one that brought the house down was 'Ghostbusters'. I've never heard it live. What a show! Who ya' gonna call?...


Also, this week was Pancake week here in Moscow. While the Russian pancake (called Blini) is nothing like what you'd find at IHOP, it's pretty dang good. It's sort of like a crepe. You can get them with honey, strawberry jam, or a variation of butters and creams. I think I had every variation that they could concoct at the Pancake Festival down by Red Square. The only pancake I didn't partake in was the one that had caviar and sour crème on top. DISGUSTING!


Also, Sunday I found a Church. It's called the International Christian Fellowship. It's located in a theater near the city center (Arbat). It's always a little awkward visiting a new church, but I think my experience this Sunday took the cake. I arrived a little late with one of my coworkers and his family. Most of the aisles were full, but we were able to find one that would accommodate all four of us, but several people had to stand up to let us by (since it's in a theater, everyone has their own seat). When I got to my seat in the middle of the aisle I sat down and the seat collapsed leaving me on the floor. I'd broken the seat and caused everyone in the vicinity of the accident to turn and laugh. No more flap jacks for me.



~The Moscow Correspondent

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

Something about this story is familiar...