Thursday, January 24, 2008

Sit Down and Shut Up

This week has been incredibly stressful. In addition to dealing with some long work hours and extra responsibilities, I've also been dealing with having a car accident, shopping for a new car, handling a compromised credit card account, trying to get insurance adjusters to call me back and trying to figure out how long it will take for this whole situation to be behind me.

My body is still aching from the wreck and my muscles are tense from all the worry. My mind races and I've been having anxiety dreams every night. I wake up not feeling rested and then I spend the entire day divided in my mind between work and personal concerns.

I've been praying all week for God's wisdom and that He will protect me physically and financially through this whole process. But I've still been overwhelmed. So tonight I asked the Lord to just bring a verse to mind that I could rely on this week. And the first thing that popped into my head was "Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!" Psalm 46:10

That honestly wasn't what I was expecting to hear from God. But I realize it's what I needed to hear. It's God's patient and loving way of telling me to sit down and shut up and let Him take care of things. And it's a gentle reminder that the way He does business is not necessarily to fix everything, but rather to make sure His name is glorified.

So tonight I am going to be still. I am not going to strive and worry and obsess over the details of the situation I'm in. I am simply going to rest in the knowledge of God's character and power and let the peace that transcends understanding guard my heart and mind through Christ Jesus.

4 comments:

Ulovebeth said...

God is good. All the time.

Sarah said...

I'm sorry you're having such a bad week. I'm praying for you.

Erin said...

Good word! (Hear this next part in the deep-voice-baptist-man-voice) Aaaaa-men!

Mindy Hart said...

All the time, God is good. :) I just couldn't refuse to add that.. our new pastor uses "god is good, all the time, all the time, god is good" as his welcome to us each week! :-)

We should write our translation of the bible...and so your translation of that verse would be "sit down and shut up. " In our study of Esther with my college girls, I believe I translated the part where she's having her one night with the king to be "bom-chica-bom-bom" :-)