Monday, January 14, 2008

His body broken for us

Last night at church, we shared the Lord's Supper. I really appreciate how we've been participating lately by standing up and walking to the table to receive the elements. I find it very beautiful to watch thousands of people silently streaming forward in a communal act of physically receiving the symbols of death and forgiveness.

The deacons of the church stood at the tables, serving the juice and bread. As I was waiting for my turn, I noticed that shards and crumbs from the wafers were scattered on the ground. Those crumbs and bits of bread represent Christ's body. The people of the church were trampling the pieces, crushing them underfoot. As my foot fell down on those crumbs and ground them into the carpet, it was such an incredible physical reminder of what my sins and the sins of those around me put Jesus through. He was trampled and crushed and ground into the dirt by the very people who depended on him for their salvation. By me.

I realize that for those of you who are Catholic or who have a Catholic background, this description of the treatment of the elements could be upsetting to you. It was upsetting to me. But it was upsetting in a powerful and beautiful way. I went back to my seat and ate the bread and drank the wine and thanked God for His mercy on me - chief among his tormentors and executioners.

***
Wounded and forsaken, I was shattered by the fall
Broken and forgotten, feeling lost and all alone
Summoned by the King into the Master's courts
Lifted by the Savior and cradled in his arms...


I was carried to the table, seated where I don't belong
Carried to the table, swept away by His love
And I don't see my brokenness anymore
when I'm seated at the table of the Lord
Carried to the table, the table of the Lord.



Fighting thoughts of fear, wondering why He called my name
Am I good enough to share this cup? This world has left me lame
Even in my weakness the Savior called my name
In His holy presence I am healed and unashamed...


As I'm carried to the table, seated where I don't belong
Carried to the table, swept away by His love
And I don't see my brokenness anymore
when I'm seated at the table of the Lord
I'm carried to the table, the table of the Lord.

~Leeland

1 comment:

Ulovebeth said...

When I got mine, I kind of got too big of a piece and it broke and fell on the ground while I was trying to break it off, and my eyes got big and I said, "Whoops!" Immediately the deacon guy said, "It's okay."

That made me feel much better.

And reading your post, it gives me even more symbolence that he is slow to anger and quick to forgive me. Not just the deacon, but God.