Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Thoughts from the sick bed

I do some strange things when I'm sick. Things I wouldn't normally do. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's the side effects of the various medicines I'm ingesting. When you're battling a sinus infection, it's not uncommon to take one drug that causes drowsiness in combination with another drug that causes jumpiness and nervous energy. You'd think these things would cancel each other out. But instead they turn me into a woman who wants to complete every decorating and cooking project in the Martha Stewart magazine while only having the energy of a wet noodle.

I also drink inordinate amounts of orange juice when I'm sick. I know it has vitamin C and it's good to get the fluids in me. But wouldn't a vitamin C tablet and a bottle of water accomplish the same thing? But for some reason, I feel compelled to drink OJ like it's going out of style. Half a gallon in 24 hours.

I watch TV channels that I religiously avoid when I'm healthy. What is it about HGTV that is so darn appealing when I'm in my jammies, prostrate on the couch with my blankie? I never watch HGTV. But yesterday I learned how to make styrofoam snowmen with felt hats and scarves. I also ended up parked on the USA channel for about three and a half hours.

I become A.D.D. I find myself watching TV, surfing the internet, instant messaging and flipping through a magazine all at the same time. The instant message conversation highlighted this phenomenon. No matter what my friend typed, my brain would come up with something completely off-topic in response.

I only eat foods that can be served in near-liquid form. I looked in the sink this morning and all I saw was cups, glasses and bowls. This would make sense if I was suffering from a stomach bug.

But all I have is a sinus infection.

4 comments:

Alyssa said...

tee hee

Admittedly, being sick is crummy. However, it does mean you don't have to be at work. Yippee!

Nancy Mon said...

If you could have only timed your illness to coincide with the boring Wednesdays you endure.

Jeanine said...

Hope you feel better soon!

Mindy Hart said...

ok- first, that surprises me that you don't normally watch HGTV. And, secondly, if your 3.5 hours of USA included a viewing of Elf (since it's been on every day since Friday, it seems likely) then, son of a nutcracker, that is a day well spent!!!!!