Tuesday, November 13, 2007

B is for Bread Pudding


I baked bread pudding this week. Technically that starts with a 'B' but I am not counting it in my A-Z Baking Challenge. After all, it's supposed to be a challenge and there is nothing challenging about bread pudding. I just happened to have some stale bread, plenty of eggs and milk...so voila! Bread Pudding!


So for anyone who may have been worried that I was shirking my higher calling, rest assured I am indeed still baking. I just haven't had much time for the really tough stuff. I have my 'B' recipe selected. But I need about a day to prepare it and about 8 friends to eat it. Volunteers? :)

Laurie's Bread Pudding

10 slices stale white bread, torn into pieces
1/4 butter, melted
1 tsp cinnamon
6 eggs
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups scalded milk (heat milk in saucepan until just before it boils)
nutmeg

Lightly butter a 2-quart baking dish. Combine bread, butter and cinnamon; toss well and place into baking dish. Beat together the eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt. Temper the eggs by whisking about 1/2 cup scalded milk into the eggs. Whisk warmed egg mixture into remaining milk. Pour over bread mixture. Sprinkle nutmeg over the top. Let the pudding rest while you preheat the oven to 375. Bake for 30 minutes or until pudding is set and toothpick inserted comes out mostly clean.

I topped mine with a drizzle of caramel sauce and garnished with fresh raspberries. You can also try any of the following variations.

Add 1/2 cup of any of the following:
Pecans
Almonds
Dried Cranberries
Dried Cherries
Raisins
Chopped Dried Apricots
Chocolate Chips

3 comments:

Jeanine said...

Bread pudding is one of my all time favorites...my granny has always topped hers with a sweetened butter sauce...I've never thought of using carmel, but I have tried using chocolate chips and then a chocolate sauce. Enjoy the baking! I have several bad bananas, so it's banana bread time.

Erin said...

from my husband who has always sneered at the mention of bread pudding,

"that was really good!"

thanks for the recipe :)

Jeanine said...

I committed to making bread pudding for Thanksgiving dinner...but I couldn't find my recipe anywhere...then I remembered that you posted yours...Thanks for saving dessert!