Thursday, January 18, 2007

Conversations with Mom

The following is a re-enactment of an actual conversation with my mom.
*Phone rings*

Me: Hey Mom.

Mom: Did you hear about the bad weather?

Me: Yes, I work in a newsroom. They try to keep us up to date on these things.

Mom: I was worried about you. Did you know the roads are going to ice up?

Me: Yes, mom. I knew about that. You see, here in the newsroom we try to stay on top of all the latest information.

Mom: You're not going to be driving in all this, are you? Surely they will let you stay home from work.

Me: Well you see, since I'm a reporter in a newsroom I have to report on the conditions and keep people informed about what's going on. So I really do have to go into the office.

Mom: Why would they make you go in? I can't believe they would want you to be out in this. I think you should take the day off.

Me: I understand that you're worried, but it's important for me to be at work. You see, I work in a newsroom, so I report the news, so whenever bad things happen or disasters occur, I am expected to show up to report on the situation.

Mom: Well I think your boss should be more considerate.

Me: Okay, mom. Thanks for calling. I'll call you after work to let you know I'm safe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I so understand your Mom's concerns. Before I became a mom I did not understand why my mom was always telling me to be careful, try not to go to this or that place, watch out for...when Dovie came along it all became very clear to me. I can so hear a conversation between me and Dovie that sounds just like this one. :):):)

The day will come when you will hear the same thing in your mind. :):)
I so enjoyed meeting you the other night, it was such fun to visit. Maybe we can do that another time.
Moms