Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Circle of Friends: Part Two

Today's friend of note is Todd. I have had the privilege to be Todd's friend for about three years now. I am about to embarrass him publicly on my blog. Tee-hee-hee.

When I first met Todd, I had the biggest crush on him! He was just so cute with his spiky hair and glasses and dimples and his laugh that fills up the space around him. It was a dark day when I discovered that someone told him about my crush! A lesser man would have gotten all awkward and weird and dropped the friendship. But Todd is a man of integrity who values honesty and openness above comfort and ease. He made it a point to make sure my heart was well-protected, while simultaneously maintaining a lasting friendship. My crush turned into deep respect for him as a man and a friend. His desire to be transparent and honest with people is one of my favorite things about him.

Todd longs to know God more deeply and intimately. He is so honest about his walk with the Lord and the ways in which he desires to grow. He's also honest about his failures and struggles. He encourages me through his trials and joys because he's real about what God is doing in his life. Todd is one of those people who makes me want to be more transparent. I so frequently put up walls and keep certain parts of my life off-limits from others. Without even knowing it, Todd challenges me to change those parts of me and allow my brothers and sisters to see inside to the "real" Laurie.

For some crazy reason, Todd thinks I am cool. It's always good to have a person in your life who knows how stupid and silly you can be and still thinks you're one of the cool people. I am not cool. He persists in thinking I am. This has the effect of making me actually feel cool. Which is nice. (Insert inside joke here).

Plus, Todd is just plain fun. I smile just being around him. Right now, as I'm typing, I'm smiling just thinking of him. We share the same wicked sense of humor. This can be good...and it can be bad. ;) Many a sketchy joke has passed between us. Good times. I heart Todd.

Toddy, you're the best. And I'm not just saying that!

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Todd IS the best! I'm laughing right now thinking about how hard I've laughed at something he's said, but I realized I can't share the times I'm remembering because of their sketchy content. (Todd, all I have to say is "Dallas North Tollway" and "Family Guy.") Laurie, you're dead on. :)

In all seriousness, Todd really is one of the coolest guys I know. He has been a faithful friend to my husband and has added much joy to our lives. Anyone who speaks with Todd for even a few minutes can see Christ shining through him.

Todd Richards said...

Wow... I don't know how to respond to this except to say that I am very thankful for a couple things:

1. Laurie's returned friendship... she really IS cool. And she is not only cool on her blog... she is cool in real life as well.

2. Words of affirmation are definitely a way I receive love... and when they are so sincere and well-stated, they always mean so much more. So this blog post (and Sarah's comment) really did make my afternoon.

Shanna said...

Ah, sweet Todd. All the girls love you. I am glad you are my friend. Thanks for always being the guy I call when I need advice from the male perspective. That rocks my world.