Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Missionary by Day, Comedian by Night

I realize that some of the items on my list of observations may require explanation. Remember, I told you some of them would remain a mystery. But #9 and #12 will get some further illumination in this post.

For about half of the trip, our group participated in a large college retreat. Think Campus Crusade combined with a primitive boyscout camping trip. The conditions at the camp were extremely difficult. I won't go into that today, but it was bad enough that several of us decided to sleep on the bus at night instead of in the rooms.

The first night, four single girls slept on the bus and one married man joined us. This guy is an amazing, seasoned missionary. His passion is to reach primitive people groups with the gospel. We had no idea he is also a comedian.

Now we didn't want this man to join us...because we figured he would snore. We were joking with him and told him we didn't want him on the bus because we know he is a snorer. His reply back to us was "there will be a snorer on this bus, a talker and a farter. One of you is probably the farter." We were cracking up laughing. Then one of the girls on the bus said "I just have one rule for this trip. I will NOT go number two without toilet paper." We all laughed and then it got quiet for a minute as we reflected on the very real possibility of the need for this rule. Then out of the darkness, Mr. Comedian says in a Mexican accent "eef you are going to have one rule, that ees the rule to have." Of course this set us off laughing again.

The next morning Mr. Comedian came up to us girls and told us he had a confession to make. He said "last night I let out two windys...I was stuck on the bus and didn't know what to do, so I just let them out. Girls, we're talking two of the top five of my life!" We didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Hilarious.

Later on that day Mr. Comedian was talking to me about my job and found out where I work. He said he listens to me all the time and was so excited to know that's who I am. He said he was going to go home and tell his wife "Honey, I slept with a girl in Cuba who is on the radio!" The funny thing is, I know that's what he'll actually say to her...

5 comments:

Shanna said...

Thanks goodness I never had to violate my rule!

Troy said...

This is all TMI.

Anonymous said...

What about #3 - the suspense is killing me...

Laurie said...

If I were you, I would ask whether #3 and #18 are connected...

Anonymous said...

is #3 the whole kissing on the cheek when you meet thing? the first time i went to mexico, the women in the nice family that i was to stay with (mom and 2 daughters) all started coming at me with pursed lips. i thought it was going to be some kind of attack. come to find out... hispanic cultures tend to greet one another with a kiss on the cheek.

s