Thursday, January 05, 2006

Life in These United States

Anyone ever pick up the Reader's Digest? I used to LOVE that thing. When I was about 13, my uncle got me a subscription to it for Christmas and I would read it cover to cover. My favorite parts were the joke sections. I especially liked their titles; "Humor in Uniform", "All in a Day's Work" etc. Hence the title of this post, because the anecdote I am about to tell would fit well into that section.

I was riding an elevator the other day, just minding my own business. It stopped and a guy talking on a cell phone got on with me. He was talking rather loudly to a woman (I could hear her voice), just chatting about various things. He glanced at me, paused, then loudly told the woman "Oh my gosh, I just got on the elevator and there's this girl in here who is wearing the same sweater that Richard bought you for Christmas. Your sweater is white and her's is red, but it is the same exact sweater." The doors opened, he walked off and winked at me from the side and the last thing I heard was him saying "She looks cute in it too."

Needless to say, I exited the elevator feeling quite good about myself. :)

2 comments:

Me said...

I love Reader's Digest too! I have such a hard time throwing away the printed word that my general policy is not to take magazine subscriptions (plus I rarely have time to read them all the way through). But Reader's Digest is my one exception - just can't give it up!

What a great elevator experience! And how often can you say that, really? For a not-so-great elevator experience, you should check out my blog for Gina's story. I think you'll get a kick out of it!

Anonymous said...

Laurie, that is PRICELESS! How fun!