Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Tele-Miscommunication

Sometimes technology works against us.

The other day I was searching through my call history on my phone, looking for a specific number. A few moments later I carried my phone (along with all my groceries) into the house. As I was putting my groceries away, my phone rang and I looked and saw the person calling me was a guy I used to be in a relationship with.

I answered the phone with that tone in my voice reserved for these situations...you know the one that says "hello, I may or may not be happy to hear from you but WHY are you calling me?!"

"Hey, is everything ok?" he asked.
"Yes, everything is fine. What's going on?" I replied.
"You just called me," he said.
"I didn't call you. You're calling me," I responded.
"No. You just called me and left a long message with nothing but silence. I was worried that something was wrong or that you might be in trouble. Are you ok?" the Ex said with confusion.

(This is where I slapped my hand to my forehead and realized what must have happened.)

"I'm sorry. I didn't intend to call you. I think I must have bumped something on my phone and called you without realizing it," I said, sheepishly.

"Oh. Ok. Well good because I was worried. Next time you call if you're in trouble, leave a message."

Tune in tomorrow for the next installment of Tele-Miscommunication...

No comments: