Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Crazy: It Runs in the Family

My family is crazy. I know what you're thinking...you think your family takes the cake. But no, let me tell you your family has nothing on mine. I share this story for illustrative purposes. Please don't hold it against me.

A couple of weeks ago, we had a family birthday gathering. A nice meal out was followed by cake at gramma and pawpaw's house. At one point, my aunt shared a tragic story about my uncle's coworker who committed suicide by hanging himself.

Of course, we were all saddened to hear this terrible story and there was much shaking of heads and frowning. After a short pause, someone in the bunch declares "Suicide by hanging...what a horrible way to go. If I were going to commit suicide I would shoot myself."

Relative #2: "Oh NO! I could NEVER shoot myself! I would just take an overdose of sleeping pills."

Relative #3: "But what if it didn't work and you just had to have your stomach pumped? I've always though I would just drive my car into a tree."

Relative #1: "You might end up a quadriplegic. Or a vegetable. I still think shooting myself in the head would be the fastest way."

Meanwhile, I'm actually contemplating suicide as a desperate attempt to escape from these crazy people.

No comments: