Monday, February 09, 2009

Straightforward

I recently started hanging out with a high school girl named Luzy and brought her to church with me last night. I was reminded how few filters teenagers have on their thoughts and comments. We were in the hall at church, grabbing a cup of coffee before the service and Luzy turned to me and said "when do you want to get married?"

I was a bit startled (I've only known this girl for a week) but good-humoredly replied "now." An older woman standing nearby heard this exchange and smiled at me.

Luzy immediately followed up with "how many kids do you want to have?"
I paused and moment and then decided honesty was the best policy so I said "three or four."

The older woman gave me a sharp look and said "oh honey, you ARE ready to get married."

4 comments:

Erin said...

That's awesome!

Anonymous said...

That's a fun story!

You should count yourself blessed, however, if last night's questions are the most awkward ones you're ever asked by a teenager. You haven't lived until you've had the opportunity to interrupt your lesson on To Kill a Mockingbird to delicately tell a 15-year-old that you have no sex life.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Anon. Nothing like having your business put out there by a classroom full of teens.

Troy said...

My favorite "straightforward" moment involved a tween. A seventh grader, who had no knowledge of my personal life, told me I should be having more fun for someone my age instead of acting like I was 40 (I was in my early twenties at the time).