Monday, December 29, 2008

Personal First

Saturday night I joined a group of friends for dinner. Among the group was one guy who is casual acquaintance. I've met him a number of times and we have many mutual friends. Every time he talks to me he can't remember my name. He's had to ask me my name so many times that is has become annoying. So when I saw him walk up and join the group, I knew it was going to happen again.

Sure enough, he smiled at me, shook my hand, and said "remind me your name again?"
I looked him in the eye, smiled my most charming smile and said "you ask me my name every time you see me. My name is Laurie. And I am going to need you to remember that from now on."

Needless to say he was a bit taken aback by being called out on that one...but he took it graciously, laughing as he apologized for his forgetfulness and promising to do better in the future.

We made our way to the table, where he sat down next to me and began a friendly conversation. Next thing I knew, he pulled out his cell phone, opened it up and said "I'm going to take your picture."

"Excuse me?" I said.

"I'm going to take your picture and label it 'Laurie' and save it in my phone. That way I'll never forget your name again."

So he did. And I'm not sure how to feel about that. But it makes for a good story.

No comments: