Wednesday, November 05, 2008

True Change

I'm disappointed. No, not about last night's election results. I'm not offering any comment on that.

I'm disappointed by the Christian response to the results. I'm disappointed that my brothers and sisters have such a lack of faith that they are gripped by fear. "For perfect love casts out fear." And "there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God." Indeed, "the sovereignty, power and greatness of His kingdoms under the whole heaven will be handed over to His saints, the people of the Most High. His Kingdom will be an everlasting Kingdom, and all rulers will worship and obey Him."

I'm disappointed that they equate the "Christian" vote to the Republican vote. I'm disappointed by the people who suggest that Christians who don't vote for Republicans may not even be true believers. May we remember that "it is by grace you have been saved through faith. And this not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not by works, so that no one may boast."

I'm disappointed by the people who apparently didn't really mean "Your will be done." If "the fervent prayers of the righteous accomplish much" then why are so many Christians suddenly feeling like God let them down? Perhaps what they really meant was give me what I want, even if it's not the best thing for me.

I'm disappointed by believers, people I actually know, who are so angry, self-righteous and outraged. God didn't just let this one slip through His fingers. He didn't make a mistake. And He didn't stop being in control.

"Great are the works of the Lord; they are pondered by all who delight in them. Glorious and majestic are His deeds, and His righteousness endures forever. He has caused His wonders to be remembered; the Lord is gracious and compassionate. He provides food for those who fear Him; He remembers His covenant forever."

7 comments:

Troy said...

Excellent. I have many thoughts, but I will only put one here: I too am ashamed by much of the response, especially by comments that question a person's salvation.

Mindy Hart said...

Amen! Preach it sister!

Sarah said...

Right on, Laurie! I totally agree.

Becky Kiser said...

amen. i have been feeling the SAME way. it's been really sad. at a time when we should rise and let our faith in the LORD be greater, we stoop below that of the "world."

Erin said...

excellent post, laurie.

Ulovebeth said...

Christian and politics don't fit together well. I believe it was designed to in the beginning of the US (or so we like to think) but it's a bit awry now.

I trust God, but the kid in me (which loves the frosted side), also fears angry crowds. This was an angry election. Nobody could even talk about it without making enemies.

I also look back at OT stuff, and read about people and bad choices we've make...we didn't have much of a selection this year...regardless, the crowd may have gotten what it wants: for better or worse we shall see. God ultimately is in control.

The OT talks alot about rulers taking down the "high places" of false gods. Everytime they don't, it repeats that a bunch of stuff hits the fan. I don't think any ruler has done that for our country. I pray our current ruler seeks God and is obedient to God. and I pray the same for us.

And I really wish we could get a third party into the mix. We have become to much of a "taste great/less filling" argumentative nation.

Ulovebeth said...

sorry for all my typos in post. :)