Saturday, September 13, 2008

We're back

We managed to get back on the air at about 9am. We're still in wall-to-wall coverage after being off the air for about six hours. I'm told the station sustained some roof damage and there are a number of leaks, but otherwise everything and everyone is ok.

Here at Transtar there was also roof damage and we lost power for about 15 minutes. They say that's the first time this facility has lost power in several years. Usually the generators kick in immediately. But this time they couldn't get the generators to start. But we're operational again.

Cell phone signals are spotty. So far I'm one of the only reporters who consistently can get through to the outside.

We're all exhausted. Most of us are working on two or three hours of sleep in a 24 hour period. I'm one of the lucky ones. Because our station was off the air, I was able to nap from 5:30 until 7:30. I also slept for a few hours in the middle of the night.

All in all, I'm better off here than I would be at home. We have AC, running water, hot food and wireless. Maybe I'll shelter here for the next couple of weeks until Houston returns to normal...

No comments: