Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Lessons in Humility

This morning I was sitting at the media table at City Hall, waiting for the council meeting to begin. They always start about 30 minutes late. I always arrive on time.

Another reporter showed up just before the meeting started. She saw me sitting there waiting and asked me if I show up on time every week, even though I know the meetings don't start until later. I replied in the affirmative. Her response was "you are a woman of integrity."

Wow.

I felt really honored by her remarks. I was proud that something as simple as showing up on time (even though I don't need to) reflected on my character. I was feeling pretty good about myself.

Toward the end of the meeting this reporter and I were having a conversation about her news organization. I made a couple of thoughtless, tactless and somewhat hypocritical remarks. I got back to the station and immediately emailed her an apology.

I couldn't help but notice the irony.
How quick I am to take credit for that which should be credited to Christ!
How quick Christ is to remind me of His grace and humble my pride!

'Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall.' Proverbs 16:18

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you arrive early, you're on time. If you arrive on time, you're late. And, if you arrive late, start running!

I'm proud of you LJ for being there when you should!

Mindy Hart said...

I hate it when that happens...