Wednesday, January 30, 2008

What are ya after doin' thar?

I was in training the past two days. A radio broadcasting coach is working with the reporters at my station to help us improve our writing and vocal performance.

The guy is really good at what he does. I've learned a lot from him after just two days of sessions.

But the main thing I've taken away from my time with him is...his accent.

He's from Newfoundland. Imagine an accent that's a cross between Canadian and Irish. That's how he sounds.

I keep catching myself slipping in words with an accent here and there. I've also been thinking to myself in an accent.

It's all I can do to keep myself from reporting my stories with a bit of brogue thrown in.

3 comments:

Ulovebeth said...

Laurie. I almost used the word Newfoundland in my blog today, too. Because it's the kind of dog I wish I had.

How bizarre.

Can't wait to hear your new accent on the airwaves.

Mindy Hart said...

I think you need to adopt an accent of the day... i'm sure it would make it more interesting! :)

susannah said...

I used to work with a guy from Newfoundland - apparently other Canadians refer to them as "Newfies." But not necessarily in a good way.