Thursday, July 19, 2007

Another Rescue

Last night a friend called me. I was at the store, so I let the call go to voicemail. When I checked the message I couldn't hear anything other than what sounded distinctly like a kitten meowing. Strange.

About an hour later my friend called back. I answered the call and she told me she had spent the evening at her grandparents' house. All evening long she kept hearing an odd whining sound. She thought perhaps it was some sort of machinery...but she said it sounded just like a kitten. She mentioned it to her grandparents, but they didn't know what it was. The evening progressed and the whining continued. Finally, the family decided to investigate. They searched the whole house and determined the noise was loudest in the kitchen. It really did sound like a kitten. A loud, upset meowing kitten. They looked in all the cabinets, behind the fridge and even pulled the dishwasher out to inspect the cavity behind it. Then they examined the walls and ended up removing an electrical outlet from the sheetrock.

My friend put her hand into the hole in the wall...and pulled out a kitten. Yep. There was a tiny kitten INSIDE the kitchen wall. She said it was dirty and covered with insulation. They checked the perimeter of the house for holes and couldn't find any openings. They have no idea how it got there.

7 comments:

gL said...

I remember watching some type of animal rescue show while flipping channels and they had found a whole litter in the wall but to get them out they were cutting holes in the wall.

bbrown said...

This is the second time today I have had (read) a conversation about cats in walls...

We are pretty confident there's a kitten in our wall at work.

Alyssa said...

How weird is that?

Ulovebeth said...

I want a kitten in my wall. As a kid, I had a bird in mine. It scratched at random times, and finally stopped scratching...

Me said...

Our former neighbor worked in a plant and there was a mother cat that had kittens and dropped them in the wall of their office every few months.

I don't think she dropped them there on purpose, but they had to cut out the sheetrock every few months to get out another litter of kittens!

gL said...

beth you cracked me up!

Dana said...

Beth - you crack me up too!

Laurie,
I've seen stories where it wasn't a kitten, it was a frog. They tore this woman's house up! The fire dept. was there and all the neighbors and it was a stinking frog....
Too funny.