Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Transparency

I really just don't have any fun or lighthearted things to blog about right now. The holidays are difficult. Family time can be hard. Nothing in particular happened on Thanksgiving. It's not like there was drama. I love the holidays. But it's a bittersweet time for me. As much as I love it, it's also a very painful season for me.

I remember, when I was little, how Christmas morning was the most magical, wonderful time. My mom would get up early and bake orange sweet rolls and make hot chocolate. My dad would build a fire (when it was cold enough). My brother and I would grab our slippers and blankets and sit in front of the fire. It was usually my job to distribute the gifts to each person. Once all the presents were handed out, we would each take turns opening one. We always saved our stockings for last. Mom always thought of the best stocking stuffers. Sometimes they were funny -- a kitty-litter sifter. Sometimes they were tasty -- chocolate-covered hazelnuts. Sometimes they were the "big" gifts -- diamond earrings.

After all the presents were opened, it was time to start cooking and preparing for the family feast. The rest of the day was spent in eating, playing with/admiring presents, napping, watching Christmas movies, playing games and eating again. We would usually end up with a brisk walk around the neighborhood to look at the Christmas lights and greet the neighbors.

Christmas is different now. My brother and I are grown. My mom works a lot, so she's too tired to do much decorating or shopping for Christmas. My dad...well...my dad is my dad. Suffice it to say he's not the same man he used to be. We don't have any kids in our family, so there's not that same sense of unbridled excitement and anticipation.

Looking ahead to the next few weeks, I am filled with nostalgia. I smile over the special moments and cry over the things I miss. I am reminded that Christmas is still a magical, wonderful time. The sorrow I feel is temporal. But the joy of knowing Christ is eternal. That joy cannot be diminished by circumstances, relationships, pain or need. And the full beauty of this season comes from walking with my Redeemer, who binds up the broken-hearted.

"Thus says the LORD: In this place of which you say, 'It is a waste without man or beast,' in the cities of Judah and the streets of Jerusalem that are desolate, without man or inhabitant or beast, there shall be heard again the voice of mirth and the voice of gladness, the voice of the bridegroom and the voice of the bride, the voices of those who sing, as they bring thank offerings to the house of the LORD: 'Give thanks to the LORD of hosts, for the LORD is good, for his steadfast love endures forever.'" Jeremiah 33:10-11

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are still the best gift hander-outer there ever was! And you're the only person I know that can pick out clothes I'll ever actually wear. You always have the perfect gift to make me happy, and are always gracious when I give you something that really, honestly sucks.

One of my oldest memories is mom taking me into her closet and showing me the two gifts they had for you: The little ring with the red gem, and the Clue game and telling me to pick one out. I picked the ring. To this day I feel happy whenever I see you wear it.

Christmas is still a great family thing, even if it isn't the same as it used to be.

I love you, little-big sister. Thank you for writing this and putting a smile on my face. Its sometimes hard for me to remember the way things used to be.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your heart.

Laurie said...

I wear that ring every day. I love you too, big-little brother.

Anonymous said...

Laurie, you are astounding. i love your heart.

i have been dreading this holiday, just missing the time when it was sweet.

Anonymous said...

I loved this post! Thanks for sharing :)

gL said...

thanks Laurie, it was nice to read about the real you again... and pretty cool that your brother would respond publicly in such a noble way.

Anonymous said...

Laurie,
You touched my heart, my thoughts went straight home. Now that my folks are in glory Christmas is very bittersweet for me. I sat hear and shed lots of tears thinking about those days with my Mom and Dad.
Thank you for your precious heart. I love you and I can't believe I still have not met you.
I so hope when "The Dove" is home we can be sure to meet.
Moms