Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Summit Mole?

I just read a book called what a girl wants. If you know me at all, you know I am not the chick-lit/chick-flick kind of girl. I would much rather watch a marathon viewing of The Lord of the Rings Trilogy than be subjected to Sweet Home Alabama. So it was after much persuasion by numerous girlfriends that I reluctantly picked up a copy of what a girl wants (the title is not capitalized, so stop freaking out). I have a confession to make. I liked it.

Here's the premise: single, 31-year-old, average Christian girl ruminates on the oddities of her church singles group and the drama of being single and wanting to be married.

I think the author must have spent several months undercover in Summit before she wrote the book. I call it uncanny. Let me give you a few examples.

On finding dates at work:
"At work, engineers are on a different plane. They're not thinking about dates or women, they are thinking about an integrated circuit they must procure, and since they can only open one mental compartment at a time, my chance of getting a boyfriend at work is about as slim as Ally McBeal's neck."

On singles' friendships:
"He calls me when he gets dumped. I call him when no one calls me. We've been friends for years. And friends is all we'll ever be."

On other Christian girls:
"How do you tell someone who speaks flirtation as such a natural form of communication that it's playing with fire? She has no idea the authority she holds in her tiny swaying hips."

"I just love standing next to her size-two figure while we sing so I can look like the great opera diva next to her."

On Christian guys:
"I can picture him pulling my hair before I can picture him kissing me."

"When I was in eighth grade and boys discussed video games, I understood. Now that I'm thirty-one I think to myself, If you boys would grow up, you might be having sex by now instead of playing Super Mario XXXIV. But as an aging virgin, who am I to judge?"

"The Bible outright tells men that beauty is fleeting, yet they seem to chase after it like a leaf in a rogue wind, stumbling and grasping, while another more intricate and colorful leaf dangles on the tree."

Did I write this book in my sleep? My main problem with the book (and all of the chick-lit/flick variety) is the neat, tidy, lovestory ending. Real life doesn't always work that way. But I guess a girl can hope to get what a girl wants.

8 comments:

Erin said...

This book really is Summit. I read it this summer and in some parts I was laughing so hard I was crying. I'm pretty sure the crying was just because of the laughter, but on some subconscious level it also may have been sadness at the realization that this is, in fact, my reality.

Anonymous said...

Amen, sister.

Shanna said...

The best part is the single for a season vs. single for a reason.

Anonymous said...

Keep reading the series.. it's gets a little less perfect love story ending-ish. I read this last year and laughed so hard I cried.

kelly said...

I'm so glad you finally succumbed to reading the book ;). It's definitely one of my top ten favorites. Now you have to read the rest of the series! But I think the first one is the best.

Karla said...

Yeah, I read the series this summer and there were some eerie similarities to my experiences in singles groups. Of course, moving around as much as I have, I do have to say that "The Reasons" are everywhere...not just at HFBC. It's a nationwide disease, singleness.

The others are right, you have to keep reading. I'll even loan you books two and three if you want.

I have my own criticisms for the series, but I'm not going to share them because it might give away some of the story. :)

Karla said...

Yeah, I read the series this summer and it was eerie how much I could relate to the accounts of Ashley's singles' group. Of course, moving around as much as I have, I must say that "The Reasons" are everywhere, not just at HFBC...it's a nationwide disease, singleness.

The others are right, you have to keep reading. Some surprises await. I do agree with you, though about the "fairy tale" wrap-up.

Karla said...

Oops, posted twice...thought my computer had erased the first and I was trying to remember what I'd said when I wrote the second. So, now I'm writing the third to say "oops." :)