Tuesday, October 31, 2006

W


Hung out with the Prez yesterday. We're tight like that. He was in town to stump for a congressional candidate. He walked in with his collar unbuttoned and his sleeves rolled up. Looked very Texas-casual. He knows his people. They ate it up. His personality comes through so well in person. No matter your political stance, he's a likeable fella. It's difficult to capture his wry humor and sly style in the media. You can't help but smile at him when he looks at you or makes a wisecrack.
I was covering this rally he was speaking at. The room was filled with hundreds upon hundreds of PLMs. It was scary. It was so very white bread, perfect smile, middle class. White. Whiter than white. There may have been a total of five African-Americans in the room. One of them was a guest speaker...can we say "token"? I saw one person of Hispanic descent. A handful of people from South Asia. And lots and lots of white people. White people wearing polos and dockers. White people wearing twin sets and pearls. I felt as though I was staring my future in the face. So that's what I'll look like when I'm 40.

Sigh.

No comments: