Thursday, May 11, 2006

I Want...

People have certain expectations from this blog. They come here to get a laugh and marvel at the insanity of my mind. I often refrain from posting serious topics for many reasons. It's not that I don't think of serious things. It's just that usually the things I think deeply on are not necessarily things that I want to share with the entire blogosphere. I like sharing my "real" moments with my closest friends. But today, I feel like being real on the blog. So here's some stuff I have been thinking about over the past few days...

I don't want an exciting life. I used to think I wanted a life of glamour and adventure. You know, an Indiana Jones meets Pride and Prejudice kind of life (now there's a movie for ya). But I have come to realize my desires are much more simple.

~I want to drink lemonade while sitting on a porch swing. ~I want to watch kids playing in a sprinkler. ~I want to spend my life with a man who will always be my best friend. ~I want to walk in a forest and hear the wind sailing through the trees. ~I want to bake bread. ~I want to invite friends over for coffee. ~I want to see the wonder on a child's face when he sees his first rainbow. ~I want to grow vegetables.~I want to hug someone and know that I don't have to let go if I don't feel like it. ~I want to find the beginning of a country road and drive on it all the way to the end. ~I want to say "I love you" and hear someone say those words to me. ~I want to play in the rain. ~I want to conform my will to that of the Father's.

So Lord Jesus, if any of these "wants" are not of you, take them upon Your altar.

10 comments:

kelly said...

That was beautiful Laurie. What a life! I do hope you get to experience all that and more. ;)
But I can tell you from my own experience living in the country, that going down a country road until it ends usually ends up with a bunch of cows and a man with a gun (all rednecks have at least a 42).

Sarah said...

Laurie, this post was so beautiful that it make me come out from hiding as a lurker on your blog. I know how you feel about realizing your desires for your life are changing. Way to go on an amazing post! I pray that God blesses you beyond anything you've ever dreamed!

Jeanine said...

Laurie, that touched me...and I have to admit that I want those same things. Wow!

Laurie said...

Ladies, thanks for the kind words and encouragement.

Kelly, I used to live in the country so I know how this works. But that's part of what I love about driving down those roads. You never know what you'll discover at the other end.

Sarah, I have been lurking on your blog too! Thanks for posting!

Eye Doctor Justin said...

Way to go, friend. I think that our lives are filled with desires like these and Satan comes in and tries to make us feel guilty of them! You are the Lord's and His desires for you are SO beautiful... just like these. Be free and alive, Laurie, because you are free!

Shanna said...

I want edge. Issues.

Kristen said...

Laurie, I think that's great. I go back and forth between wanting those simple things, and desiring more...but not sure more of what.

Shanna, that's hilarious.

Anonymous said...

"I want more...and I know I shouldn't..." ~ Anakin Skywalker, hours before becoming Darth Vader

James said...

It's much more comfortable around folks who don't give the impression they expect finer things or want to keep up with the Jones', but are rather content with what God has given them...

Melanie said...

Laurie, thank-you for sharing your dreams. I think the 'simple' things are the most beautiful and rewarding. May God bless you with His simple pleasures! ;)