Monday, July 25, 2005

Facial Hair


How many times can a single girl start a blog post entry with a title like that one?!

It all comes down to my eyebrows. Basically they are like two large shrubs growing out of my forehead. The rapidity of growth is staggering at times. And yes, much like Bert, they do tend to meet in the middle if I'm not careful.

So I get them waxed. Painful. Necessary. There's a little nail shop around the corner from my house where they wax eyebrows for the shockingly low price of $5. This is a blessing from heaven. But there's a catch...and many women will be able to empathize with me on this one. Having your eyebrows waxed in a local nail salon is a lesson in humility and indignity.

Every time I go to that shop, the woman takes a hard look at my face and asks the dreaded question: "I wax your eyebrow and upper lip too?" I look at her with a startled expression as if to say "why in the world would you think I need my upper lip waxed???". It's a cosmic battle between us, we are both determined to win. She thrusts, I parry, we circle one another with wary, watchful eyes. I win the battle, but somehow I don't feel victorious...

6 comments:

Troy said...

Ryan, did you go in for a wax before your photo shoot for that "Dukes of Hazzard" promo?

leslie said...

one time...I gave in and I have never gone back....

Laurie said...

Actually I'm quite amused by it! :)

And Leslie, I was also wondering what you meant by giving in and never going back. Did you get the upper lip waxed and then never go back to that salon? Or did you get the upper lip waxed and have never gone back to the old way of life? Inquiring minds want to know...

leslie said...

I confess!! I got the upper lip waxed and have never gone back to the old way of life. I really don't want to chance having a she-stach in certain kinds of lighting. :-)

AyDubb said...

Guys...did you just assume that women kinda sorta...POOF!...and all was perfect? Just curious.

Laurie, dear heart, if that's what it takes for you have 2 eyebrows, and not the dreaded unibrow bush, more power to you! I've got an extremely high pain tolerance, but I think I would totally scream like a girl if someone were to pour bubbling hot wax on me then rip off my top layer of skin at a speed akin to that of light. To quote a late 20th century philosopher: Homey don't play that!

Leslie...she-stach? HA!

gL said...

Leslie I think I split my side... she-stach... HAHAHAHA